How to Style Your Pubic Hair
Just as with the hair on our heads, eyebrows, and faces, pubic hairstyles come in a wide array of shapes and colours. Some people like it balder than a Congressman; some people like it neatly trimmed; and others prefer to follow the spirit of Woodstock, and let it run wild and free.
So, should you shave your short 'n' curlies? The truth is, there's no right or wrong answer to that question. Those who advocate for the full Hollywood (that is, to say, entirely bare) say that it feels cleaner, is less work for their sexual partners, and increases sensation.
The Full-Bush-Administration, however, would counter that pubic hair is there to protect your sensitive areas, makes you less prone to catching STIs, and also helps to retain libido-boosting pheromones that make you even more sexually appealing.
Many also find their partner's personal preference often influences their own choice, but when it comes down to it, the decision (and the razor) are entirely in your hands. If you are, however, in the staggering 92% of women and 83% of men who primp their pubes in some way, then just read on for our finest styling tips.
Wax, Shave, Or Trim?
There are a number of methods that you can use to style your special area:
Waxing gives you the longest-lasting results (up to four weeks), and can either be done at home, or in a salon. The wax is heated and smoothed onto the skin in the direction of the hair growth, then a cloth is applied, before the cooled wax is pulled back in the opposite direction, taking the entire hair with it.
Hair removal creams work by using a chemical formula to thin the root of the hair, to the point where it breaks and can be simply wiped away. Although you can get hair removal cream for the bikini area (the parts of the skin where the edge of your underwear would sit), it's not recommended to use it for all-over genital hair removal as it can be an irritant.
Trimming doesn't remove the hair completely in the same way as other methods, but shortens it for a more groomed appearance. Many special trimmers have a small head that allows you to get to those hard-to-reach areas, as well as sculpting the hair into patterns or shapes using stencils.
Shaving is the most popular method of hair removal, as it's quick, convenient, and relatively painless (unless you accidentally cut yourself). There's a huge range of intimate razors and accessories available in our Personal Grooming section.
How to Get the Smoothest Shave
If you're looking to get the most out of your intimate shave, then we've rustled up this handy guide for fuss-free hair removal:
1. Before you start, get out the scissors or trimmer and give everything a nice close crop. Not only will excess hair clog up your razor faster, but it will also dull the blade much more quickly which can cause microscopic cuts on the surface of the skin.
2. In order to get the closest, most comfortable shave, you'll need to open up the follicles and soften the hair by having a bath or shower beforehand. If you don't have time, holding a warm, moist cloth over the area for a few minutes will do the trick.
3. Use shaving foam or cream. Dry-shaving increases the chances of irritating the skin, so grab that lotion and get foaming! Always use a fragrance-free gel, as this will reduce the risk of upsetting the delicate pH balance of your intimate areas.
4. Make sure that the skin is taut by pulling your skin upwards, starting just below the navel. If you're intending to get rid of every little bit, positioning a mirror beneath you so that you can see everything will help reduce accidental nicks, and help you to see any bits you may have missed.
5. For the greatest comfort and sleekest finish, make sure that you're using a razor with a minimum of two blades. Many also have lubricating strips at the top, which reduce friction during your shave.
6. If you're looking for a long-lasting and extra smooth finish, draw the razor across your skin in the opposite direction to the direction of hair growth (or, 'against the grain'). Although this will leave a smoother finish initially, be aware that it can irritate the skin and lead to ingrowing hairs developing later on.
8. Once you're happy with the look and feel of your hairstyle, take the time to exfoliate your skin to remove any dead skin and help prevent ingrowing hairs developing. You can also use moisturizer or oil to keep your skin feeling extra-soft, but avoid any fragranced lotions and look for skin-soothing formulas containing aloe vera for extra comfort.
Our Pick of the Best Grooming Gadgets
Best for: Mixing It Up
If you're looking for a trimmer that'll take you from rough to smooth in the blink of an eye, this clever little kit from Swan is ideal.
With four different heads that allow you to shave, shape, or trim depending on your mood, a variety of length settings mean you can keep things as long or short as you fancy.
There's even a set of 11 different stencils (including a lightning bolt, an anchor, and a moustache), making it easy to become the Picasso of pubic hair.
" The main trimmer is amazing for shearing off huge amounts of long hair extremely quickly" - Skitty
Best For: Smooth Operators
For getting up close and personal, you can't beat a multi-blade razor. The s.Hair Intimate Razor is designed specifically to be able to reach those tricky spots, with a compact handle for total control.
Dual blades catch even the shortest hairs, with a moisturising strip that treats your skin to an infusion of aloe vera and Vitamin E to reduce irritation and shaving rash.
The razor also comes with a spare blade so it'll last and last, but should you need to top up, just grab a pack of spares and you're good to go.
It's completely changed my shaving routine and I have no more unruly stubborn hairs!" - NatandTom
Best for: Soft, Silky Skin
It's vital to look after your skin, before, during, and after your shave, which is where the Earthly Body Miracle Oil and Shave Cream comes in.
Slick on a hearty helping of the tea-tree infused shaving cream before running your razor over your skin to minimize friction and irritation.
Once you're finished, dab a little of the soothing Miracle Oil on the shaved area. The nifty formula reduces redness, moisturizes your skin, and gives a long-lasting slick sensation for you to enjoy again and again.
"I thought I'd give this a go. It has stopped the rash and itching completely. It's packaged well, smells lovely and feels good." - Horny lady
We always want you and your partner to be totally happy with the grooming products that you choose, so if there are any problems at all, don't forget that our no-quibble returns policy gives you a year to return or exchange your purchase.
You may also like: